I just came across this document titled “Military and Security Developments Involving the People’s Republic of China 2011″. It is written by the USA and report for the US government to get an overview over China’s military and security situation.
Here is the link: http://www.defense.gov/pubs/pdfs/2011_cmpr_final.pdf
The document is pretty big and I only read a few parts. Let me point out a few highlights that caught my interest:
- p. 16: Map of China’s border disputes
- p. 16f: New missions for China’s army: peacekeeping and protecting China’s interests beyond its border.
- p. 17: “Most recently, the PLA employed lift assets to assist in the evacuation of PRC citizens from Libya.”
- p. 20/21: Where does China get its oil delivered from?
- p. 35: How far do China’s intercontinental missiles reach?
- p. 41: China’s military spending (2010 estimated at $US160 billion)
- p. 67f: China’s arms sales
The USA really seems to be concerned, that it might lose its leading position sooner or later. Currently the USA invests incredible sums into its military, but that will only help for a while. For a long term success, my suggestion to the USA is: Increase population, make more babies. Otherwise, accept that you will be at place 3 at some point in the future, behind India and China.