Hey guys! 2009 is over. Hope you got well into 2010. A new year, new opportunities! Changes and Improvements. So let’s answer the question: What do I want to achieve in 2010? This year is going to be a year of fundamental changes in my life and I have to get on track in the right direction. On a professional level I want to get my paid career started, on a personal level I want to continue to learn Chinese and find a way to Asia, so I don’t have to stay in Germany. Overall, the main goal in 2010 is getting a paid job, earn money and getting my career started. In the worst case the Chinese learning has to subordinate, but I really need to make some money, as soon as my studies are over. 2010 is about money So let’s get started with the 2010 plans.
2010 professional career plans
This is straightforward for the first few months of 2010, however after that a lot depends on where I do get my first job. Asia or Europe.
- Finish my studies: First, I need to get my studies done in 2010. This is the main goal above all the others in 2010. This should happen sometime in spring 2010.
- Getting a job: After my studies are done, I need to get a job. Either by working at some company, or just by starting a new company.
- Student Loan: I have a student loan worth about 8000 Euro. By December 31. 2010 I want to pay off this loan.
- Asia or The Western World? Another question I have to think about (I thought about this a long time now, and I’m still confused). While the payment in the West is better, there is nothing like drinking green tea in a quiet teahouse, surrounded by lush trees, tea with freshly picked green tea leaves, nothing like the beautiful women of East Asia, and nothing like the tasty food available only in China. I have to make a decision on this, somehow.
- Design Patterns: We touched the subject of design patterns during my studies, however not in depth. Right now in January I want to work through the book Head First Design Patterns to get more knowledge about design patterns and applying them in software projects.
- J2EE or JavaME? J2EE pays better, however I have more experience in JavaME at the moment. During my studies I did a course on J2EE, however it only covered some of the rough basics. A friend gave me some book called Head First Servlets & JSP (Yea, the Head First series is really hot at the moment in IT). I want to work through this massive tome early this year, so I have a solid foundation choosing a job in either J2EE or JavaME.
2010 Chinese learning plans
My Chinese is progressing slowly, to slowly. It suffers most from not being in an Chinese speaking environment. While I do want to change this, life doesn’t allow me to just go. So I’ve been looking for some substitutes.
- Reading: My focus this year is getting my Chinese character recognition up to speed. From around 500 now to about 2000 at the end of the year. I’ll use the same strategy as previously. Reading Chinese books. I’ve previously mentioned the Chinese Breeze graded reader books, and I’ll continue to read these and then use some other material.
- Listening: Getting my ear in shape to understand spoken mandarin is essential. I’ve been using my BlackBerry and earphones to listen to Chinese podcasts while going to university, or just going anywhere. Unfortunately I stopped when my earphones broke apart and I didn’t buy new ones. I going to bey some just next week. Furthermore I want to watch some Chinese TV series on the internet. Overall I want to listen to at least five hours of Chinese a day.
- Speaking: I have a few Chinese friends, however we don’t speak Chinese for convenience. I want to change this and at least use Chinese for some parts of our conversation.
- Vocabulary: I want to learn the vocabulary of HSK 1 and HSK 2, so I can remember these with confidence. I still need to find some good learning tools for this.
One last change: Previously when I addressed my readers, I always used the capital “Y” in words like you, your, etc… From now on I will use the small caps “y” in addressing you, according to proper English grammar.
2010, here I am!